Saturday, March 15, 2008

Back in the hospital, again...

Well, we started off doing fairly well after the angioplasty. The procedure itself went well, only taking 4 hours this time! Dr. Butto only had to balloon 2 of her vessels because the first angio did a better job than he expcted, so that was a plus!
He then suprised us with the news that it was time for her VSD to be closed, in about a month!! That was a shock. I wasn't execting to hear that her next open heart would be that soon! Then he said that she would probably be able to go home that night! Another unexpected turn, but in a good direction. He said everything went so well, and she looked so good that she would be okay. So that evening we headed home.
We had trouble with her sats on the way home, which worried me a little, but she stabilized and was doing well by the time we arrived home. She needed about 2 liters of O2, but was sitting in the high 70's to low 80's. Then the fun began!
Around 2:15 AM, her sat monitor alarmed, and she was down in the 60's. Over the course of the next 15 minutes, I had her on 8 lpm and she was still in the 60's. So after a call to the cardiologist, we decided to take her to the ER. Once there, they of course had to start an IV, draw blood, etc. I was so scared, because the last time we were in a similar situation Vaeh ended up on a helicopter to Toledo. This time it was in an ambulance instead, but we were on our way back up north! It was again pneumonia like the last time, but not as severe. At least this time we weren't intubated.
So we've been in Toledo since early Friday morning, and it looks like we're here until Monday for IV antibiotics. She is doing much better today, with better oxygen saturations, and a slightly better chest x-ray. Now its just getting well enough to go back home. We'll find out at our April appointment with Dr. Butto when they may possibly do another open heart after he speaks with Dr. Bove. So much in our future, so much that's uncertain. But we know for certain that God is in control, and taking care of all of us every step of the way!

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

Thank you for talking with me yesterday, I have been so worried about Vaeh. I'm so glad she is doing better and pray that she gets over this pneumonia quickly. You know I'm always hear if you need to talk.