Friday, August 15, 2008

"The smell of Rain"

Today I got an email from a friend about "the smell of rain." Janet is another fellow heart mom that I've come to know over the past few months. I love this story, because it is about a family that puts their faith in God & not what the doctors tell them is most likely to happen.

Interestingly enough, my mother-in-law gave me a copy of the very same story shortly after Nevaeh was born. I remember vividly reading the story through the buckets of tears as I progressed through the story. It really was a light in a very dark time for me. I had just found out that my precious baby was not "perfect" as I thought. This story was a strengthener for my own hope, & more importantly my faith that God was in control & that all would be fine.

The story is about the Blessing family (how coincidental!) & the birth of their 2nd child, a daughter, Dana Lu. She was born at 24 weeks gestation, back in 1991, she was 12 inches long & weighed only 1 lb, 9 oz. Even now, its rare that a baby born that early will survive. The doctors didn't give the Blessings much hope for little Dana, but they put their faith in God.

At 2 months old, they were able to hold her for the first time. At 4 months old she went home, against all doctors predictions. 5 years later, at her brother's baseball team practice, she & her mother had a conversation about a smell that Dana had noticed. "Did you smell that?," she asked her mom. Her Mom replied "yes, it smells like rain." Dana asked her Mom again, & disagreed with her Mom's reply when she said it smelled like rain. "No," Dana replied, "it smells like Him. It smells like God when you lay your head on His chest!"

Okay, so now that I have everyone's hair on their arms standing on end, wasn't that a neat story! I think of it every time it smells like rain! If you'd like to read the actual story, just send me an email at gabnvaeh@yahoo.com & I'd be glad to send it to you! Thanks for the story, Janet!

On a side note, Miss V's rash is cleared up & the eyes are looking much better! I'll post pictures of it later! Hope you all have a blessed day!

No comments: